Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sleepless nights

Ryan has been really consistant and good about is naps since we've been back from our trip. He has one 1 1/2 hour nap in the morning around 10:30 and then he goes down for another 1 1/2-2 hour nap any time between 3-4. That being said, we've been having trouble getting him down at night. It's been 9-10 at night and a huge fight. After thinking about it, I figured maybe he was just staying up too late, (he is usually only up 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours before going for a nap and at night it was getting to be about 4+ hours between nap and sleep) so I have been trying to put him to bed earlier and follow our bedtime routine very closely.

I was so happy when after a trip to Dairy Queen for ice cream after dinner, that Ryan started to look tired. Imagine my happy surprise to have a sleeping baby by 8:20. YAY! By 10 I decided to go to bed early and I had just fallen asleep when Ryan woke up screaming at 10:40. I brought him into bed with me and he nursed for all of about 10 minutes before falling back to sleep. Even though it was much earlier than it usually is when I bring him back into bed with me, I left him there. I think that was my first mistake.


No joke, from 11 last night until 4 this morning Ryan was up at least once each hour. From 4 to 7 Ryan did not sleep at all. From 4 to 5 he nursed and flopped around on the bed. I had a really bad back ache so at 5 I went to soak in the tub for a bit thinking maybe Ryan would settle down with just Brad in bed. Nope. After I got out of the bath and took two Tylenol I was feeling a little better so I took Ryan out to the living room. I had moved all the toys into his room yesterday while tidying so there was not much there for him to play with. First he ripped apart the newspaper from earlier in the week. Then he found a half empty chip bag and proceeded to empty it and crush the chips into the carpet. Thankfully by then he was starting to show tired signs. No longer interested in nursing (and not that I imagine there was much left after his nursing at least once an hour since 11), I gave him a container of yogurt and some water.


Thankfully I was able to take him back to bed and get him to settle and go to sleep around 7:20. And he slept until about 10:30 when we woke up. Needless to say, that threw off his schedule for the rest of the day. 8:45 and Ryan is down for the count tonight. I sure hope tonight is better than last night. With my other little guy I babysit arriving at 7:30 in the morning, I am not sure I can take another night like last night.


Sleep well, I sure hope we all do!

No comments: