Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday Menu Plan


For more information about Meal Plan Mondays or to see what others are eating this week, head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie.


After a little break from posting my menu plan (although I have been thinking about meal planning, just not as detailed) I am back.

Monday- BBQ Ribs (from M & M Meats), baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

Tuesday- BBQ steaks with bbqed vegetables.

Wednesday- stuffed pasta shells (I have some in the freezer because I make a whole box at a time and that is about 3 meals for us) with Caesar salad and garlic toast.

Thursday- BBQ chicken breasts with rice, corn on the cob and strawberry spinach salad.

Friday- leftover love

Saturday- appetizer night: honey garlic wings, crudites and dip, nachos

Sunday- crock pot honey, brown sugar and pineapple ham* with mashed potatoes, and vegetables.

**Crock pot honey, brown sugar and pineapple ham
1 picnic ham
1 can of pineapple ring slices
brown sugar
honey

Drain the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple rings into the crock pot. Keep the rings refrigerated for later use. Add brown sugar and stir (sorry I never measure but I would guess it is a cup or two) until the brown sugar all dissolves. Then add 1/2 to 1 cup of honey (again I never measure I just pour it in and stir until it gets thick). Add the ham. Cook on low heat for 3 hours or high for 1.5. If desired, each half hour, flip the ham and then spoon the brown sugar, honey, pineapple juice mixture over top the ham. (I actually use my turkey baster for this!)
After 3 hours cooking on low or 1.5 on high, take the ham out and use toothpicks to secure the pineapple rings to the ham. (Some people also use toothpicks to secure maraschino cherries to the centre of each pineapple ring). Put the ham and pineapple back into the crock pot for another hour, basting it now and then again flipping and basting at the half hour mark and again just before serving.

Picnic hams are already cured and cooked but I like to slow cook mine and for this length of time to let the meat absorb the flavour. I always serve this with mashed potatoes and often baby carrots. This is part of my Christmas Eve menu and I often make a bigger one, usually in my oven instead of my smallish crock pot, which allows me to have lots of ham to snack on. (with crackers and cheese Christmas day, with turkey leftovers on cold plates on boxing day, mixed in scrambled eggs or omelets on the 27th)

Bon Appetit! and have a tasty week!

No comments: